Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Back on Island

We're baaack...I guess I should say I am baaack! I enjoyed the pleasures of the east coast for the summer while Jim was in Hawaii. Happy I was able to sneak in a stay at my favorite place, Wentworth by the Sea...poolside swim in their salt water pool, massage and some rest and relaxation after four days of painting with Newcastle watercolor artist Dustan Knight. Also had some fun beach days and dinner gatherings with my girlfriends. It was a full summer fitting it all in...dinner with the boys, my niece Kate and fun time spent with my nephew Grady.

Jim flew back east for a "vacation" during the summer but as usual his time was spent on house maintenance/repairs...thankfully he does not mind this job. At the end of September, before we flew back to Hawaii, we were able to enjoy a relaxing weekend with our friends Linda and Greg at their newly built home in Maine...what a beautiful place...so happy for you guys...thank you again for taking such good care of us...martinis the bomb!

 A few days after arriving on island, beginning October, I jumped right into a week long watercolor painting workshop with a group from the Hawaii Watercolor Society and artist-instructor from the mainland. Gosh, this painting thing ain't no easy task and I have to say, one of the most difficult things I have yet to attempt. And, not that that challenge isn't enough to rock my boat, I have started oil painting as well...what am I thinking??? NOT...lol! A fellow watercolor friend who is also trying oils for the first time, has offered an easel and other paint supplies to borrow...so here I go again! Every Saturday morning we travel to various parts of O'ahu painting outside, aka "plein air" in nature. I have been painting with the group of 12-18 locals with an artist instructor, Mark Brown, six or eight times and have yet to feel even competent. After 4-5 sessions painting I asked the instructor when I was gonna get good at this...half joking-half serious. He asked me how many paintings I had completed...when I said, 8 paintings, he laughed and said, when I have painted 100-200 paintings ask him again!!! I am so impressed by my fellow painters but also discouraged after chatting with them and finding out they have been painting 5, 6 and 8 years!!! OMG! Not sure if I can wait that long...the lesson: patience! WOW

In Kevin Macpherson's book on oil painting, he challenges you to paint a painting a day for 100 days. I took on the challenge and at this writing I am on day 35/100...with more days of frustration than I care to admit. All my painting friends remind me to just have FUN and enjoy the process...so I am having FUN...grateful that I get to wake up everyday in this beautiful place to play and do something I love to do, C.R.E.A.T.E! Following my BLISS...it's all good! I wish that for all of you my friends back home!

Jim and I enjoyed a delicious thanksgiving dinner at the beachside restaurant, House Without a Key, one of three restaurants at elegant hotel, Halekulani in Waikiki. In morning, before dinner, we walked to Kailua beach, for a swim then back to home...it was a gorgeous day. No plans yet for Christmas or my birthday...talked about flying to one of the other islands...not sure we will be able to make that work as time is getting away from us and places fill up early during Christmas, one of the busiest times of the year in Hawaii.

Jim's good...loves his job and a island life...shorts and slippas aka flip flops to us and a swim in the ocean or pool any day of the week...doesn't get much betta, he says and I would have to agree. Life is good in Hawaii.

Miss you all...stay well...be happy!
Merry Christmas...Happy Hanukkah...Happy Holidays
And we wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year
2014 Year of the Horse

No comments:

Post a Comment